Tuesday, February 18, 2020

French Racists Taunt Player During Soccer Match

The striker for Portugal’s Porto soccer team walked off the field Sunday after being subjected to racist taunts by fans.  Agence France Presse reported that spectators made monkey chants after Marega scored the winning goal over Vitória Guimarães.

The Guardian reports that Moussa Marega, who was born in France to Malian parents, gave the crowd the middle finger as he left and later posted on Twitter: “I would just like to tell these idiots who come to the stadium to make racist chants, go fuck yourself. I hope I never see you on a football field again. You are a disgrace!  And I also thank the referees for not defending me and for giving me a yellow card because I defend my skin colour.”

Head coach Conceição said: “We are a family regardless of nationality, skin color, hair color. We are human, we deserve respect. What happened here is unfortunate,. We are completely indignant with what happened. I know the passion that exists for Vitoria and I think that most of the fans do not see themselves (as having the same) attitude of some people who insulted Moussa since the warm-up.”

No comments: