Sunday, May 13, 2007

Colorado Woman Keeps Her Head on Straight After Freak Accident

A car crash on January 25 threw 30-year-old Shannon Malloy up against her vehicle's dashboard. In the process, her skull became separated from her spine. The clinical term for her condition is called internal decapitation. Incredibly, she has survived to tell her story.

"I remember the impact and then I had no control over my head," said Malloy. "I've seen [a case like this] once before and, unfortunately, the patient didn't make it," said her doctor, Gary Ghiselli.

Malloy spent four months in a head-stabilizing device that was screwed to her skull and her neck. It wasn't exactly a pain-free procedure. "My skull slipped off my neck about five times. Every time they tried to screw this to my head, I would slip," said Malloy. During that recovery time, she also endured many other complications-- a fractured skull, swollen brain stem, bleeding on the brain, GI tube in my stomach, inability to swallow, and nerve damage in my eyes.

But she is alive, and looking forward to other miracles in the days ahead. See the article for more details and video.

No comments: