Tuesday, November 27, 2007

London Underground: Yes, We Mind The Crap

The woman who has been the "Voice of the Tube" for the last eight years has been sacked after allegedly criticizing the London Underground (LU). Voiceover artist Emma Clarke, 36, is the woman millions of Tube travelers hear warning them to "mind the gap". The Manchester resident was said to have upset her bosses at LU by saying she did not use the Tube because it was "dreadful". LU would only say that it would not be offering her further work.

Clarke also made a series of spoof announcements on a website promoting her voiceover work. In one announcement, Clarke says: "We would like to remind our American tourist friends that you are almost certainly talking too loudly." An LU spokesman said: "It's not because of the spoof announcements. It's because she has criticized the Underground system. Some of the spoof announcements are very funny. But Emma is a bit silly to go round slagging off her client's services."

She said she was "disappointed and perplexed" that LU had not contacted her but instead had decided to dismiss her via the media. "I can't get in touch with anyone at LU to explain I was wildly misquoted," she said. Clarke also told BBC News: "What I actually said was that traveling in a Tube train would be dreadful for me, listening to my own voice and seeing the haunted faces of commuters being subjected to me telling them to 'mind the gap'. I would find it quite an uncomfortable experience in the same way that when I call a company when I'm their on hold voice and it's me saying - please press 2 for accounts - it's a creepy experience to be honest."

No comments: