Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sad News From The Land Where Shame and Honor Still Mean Something To Former Presidents

South Koreans have expressed deep shock at the apparent suicide of former president Roh Moo-hyun, who was under investigation for alleged corruption.

62-year-old Roh was killed in a fall from a mountain near his home. Current President Lee Myung-bak said the news was truly unbelievable and deeply sad. The former president left a brief suicide note which read as follows:
I can't imagine the countless agonies down the road. The rest of my life would only be a burden for others. I can't do anything because I'm not healthy. I can't read books, nor can I write.

Don't be too sad. Isn't life and death all part of nature? Don't be sorry. Don't blame anybody. It's fate. Please cremate me. And please leave a small tombstone near home. I've long thought about that.

Roh apologized last month over allegations he and his family took $6m in bribes during his 2003-2008 term in office. He came from a humble farming family, but rose to the highest office on a platform of clean government and reconciliation with the North.

No comments: