Friday, March 20, 2009

Judge Judy Speaks Her Mind

Daytime TV powerhouse Judge Judy was on the Larry King this week and had some interesting things to say:

On surviving the economic downturn: This country has a wonderful spirit. And I think that, in the end, the spirit will take it through. It may take a couple of years. I wish I were younger so that I would have more years to enjoy it. But I think we'll be fine.

On taxing the rich: I resent it when any part of the government refers to people who have money in the pejorative. When states and cities and our country say we're going to tax the rich -- and that word rich or wealthy doesn't sound like it comes from success of hard work, but from something negative -- I resent it. ...

On Bernie Madoff: I think Bernie Madoff has-- or had-- the ego the size of Noah's ark and very little conscience. [Because he] is 70 years old . . . if he's sentenced to 30 years in prison, that's an appropriate period of time. And if he lives to be 100 and he is eligible for parole and makes parole, so be it. ... I was surprised he didn't kill himself, quite frankly.

On the AIG bonuses: We now own, you and I, 80 percent of AIG. And the excuse given for paying out these bonuses were that they were contracts and you can't void those contracts without consequences. And I think it's sort of interesting that you can't void contracts because these people were engaged in actions that were irresponsible, reckless and caused substantial damage. [Don't we] void the contracts of police officers and firemen and other civil servants despite the fact they have contracts? They're forced to take furlough days to make up budgets.

On the bailouts: It seems to me if a company isn't working, there comes a point where you have to say that's what Chapter 11 is for. And I also think that while banks and financial institutions have to bear a great deal of the blame for where we are, I don't pass over the individual and individual responsibility. If you're earning $50,000 a year, you have no business buying a million dollar house. ...

On Proposition 8: We've got a lot of trouble in this country. We've got a lot of trouble in the world. Why the state should be interested in proscribing the word marriage from two people who love each other, who are responsible, tax-paying, productive people, who have created a family ... why the state would have an interest in proscribing that kind of conduct, I don't understand.

No comments: