Sunday, May 2, 2010

Tidbits From Laura Bush's Memoir

“The royal family is not without its quirks. When Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, came to visit us, they requested glasses of ice before we began a long receiving line. The staff dutifully produced them, and the prince removed a flask from his pocket and added to each a small splash of what I presume was straight gin, so that they might be fortified before the hour of shaking hands.” (p. 296)

Note from the Daily Dude: I'd need a few belts of the hard stuff myself to make it through a boring evening with W.

“The following afternoon we had a cookout with hamburgers made from Texas beef [with Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi in Crawford]. When I next saw the Japanese prime minister, he raised his arm and made a muscle, telling me, “That hamburger made me strong. I went home to do political battle, and I was strong because of that hamburger.” (p. 291)

DD: With George's cronies running the USDA into the ground, he's lucky he didn't get sick from e.coli poisoning.

In 2004 the social question that animated the campaign was gay marriage. Before the election season had unfolded, I had talked to George about not making gay marriage a significant issue. We have, I reminded him, a number of close friends who are gay or whose children are gay. But at that moment I could never have imagined what path this issue would take and where it would lead.” (p. 303)

DD: But like the hypocritical bastard he is, George sold out his gay friends to curry favor with his bigoted neocon supporters.

“On nights and weekends, I had a second career inside the White House: movie critic. After years of barely being able to squeeze in time for a movie or waiting until it came to the video rental stores, George and I were now the happy beneficiaries of the White House movie theater and a supply of feature films from the Motion Picture Association… My inner movie critic decided that many films were too long and could stand a good bit of editing; for his part, George did not like films that depended on the F-word for much of their dialogue.” (p. 365)

DD: But as long as they stuck to mono-syllabic words, I'm sure George was able to enjoy himself just fine.

“Day in and day out, the criticism of George from all sides was withering. He was denounced and caricatured in ways far worse than his father had been. I survived it because George did. He is not a self-pitying man. He is not a man of outsize ego or arrogance, despite what his critics said.” (p. 383)

DD: No, he's just a fucking moron.

"I heard the daily rants from the campaign trail. It got so that even the weather seemed to be George’s fault. And I wondered if Barack Obama, who spent far more time attacking George than he did his opponent, John McCain, would want to amend his words once he discovered the reality of the White House and was himself confronted by the challenges and crises that hit a president every day, all day.” (p. 420)

DD: No need to worry about Obama-- like most qualified presidential candidates, I'm sure he knew what he was getting into and is more than capable of handling the job.

No comments: