Saturday, February 7, 2009

Pathetic Puzzler: Persistence Pays

A Rubik's Cube enthusiast in Britain said he has finally solved his puzzle after struggling with it for 26 years. Graham Parker of Portchester, England, said he first bought his Rubik's Cube in 1983 and has since spent more than 27,400 hours struggling with the colored cube puzzle.

"I cannot tell you what a relief it was to finally solve it. It has driven me mad over the years -- it felt like it had taken over my life," Parker said. "I have missed important events to stay in and solve it and I would lay awake at night thinking about it. When I clicked that last bit into place and each face was a solid color I wept," he said.

Ray Hodgkin, a representative of the World Cube Association, the governing body for Rubik's cube competitions, said Parker's struggle with the puzzle may be the longest on record. "I am impressed by Graham's dedication -- the Rubik's Cube can be a very frustrating thing. The WCA would like to congratulate him on his achievement," he said. The world record for solving a Rubik's Cube is held by Erik Akkersdijk of the Netherlands, who finished the puzzle in 7.08 seconds.

No comments: