Sunday, July 15, 2007

Bin Laden Family In The News

A new al-Qaida videotape posted today on a militant Web site featured a short, undated clip of a weary-looking Osama bin Laden praising martyrdom. Bin Laden glorified those who die in the name of jihad, saying, "The happy (man) is the one that God has chosen him to be a martyr." The tape, however, did not include well wishes towards his new daughter-in-law-- 51-year-old Jane Felix-Browne, who granted an interview this week to Britain's Daily Mail in the wake of her marriage to Bin Laden's 27-year-old son Omar.

Jane Felix-Browne, who had been married five times previously, met Osama's fourth son, Omar, on a riding holiday in Egypt and fell madly in love. The fact that his father was the most notorious terrorist the world was never something that was going to stand in Jane's way. It apparently was not even an issue that was discussed at length before the marriage ceremony. Says the new Mrs. Bin-Laden, "I'm not the sort of person who is fazed by anything, and I truly believe that someone is innocent until proven guilty, so I wasn't about to start judging his father. What is that famous saying? 'One should never revisit the sins of the father on the son.'"

In the lengthly interview she describes her previous marriages and her upbringing, as well as a variety of other topics:

On Osama Bin-Laden's guilt: ""I mean, do you know - beyond all doubt - that he did it [World Trade Center attack]? If so, I'd like you to show me the evidence. I don't think it's nice to make assumptions about someone when you don't know the facts."

On having a long-distance marriage: She says she communicates with her new husband via phone, as she hasn't seen him in the flesh since they tied the knot last autumn. When asked whether that was a bizarre way to conduct a marriage, she says: "Absolutely not. We can talk for hours and hours on the phone, and we do. We also have the internet, which is fantastic. Then there's the webcam. We both have great cameras, you see."

About Omar's other wife: "Yes, but I'd set up another home nearby, and he would come and go between the two. It is quite normal, really. I don't mind at all - why should I? I'm not jealous of his wife. I have spoken to her. Lots of married men in this country have girlfriends. At least he is being honest."

About the publicity of her marrying Osama Bin Laden's son: "[Omar] thinks it's been blown out of proportion, as I do. It's not that complicated, really. I fell in love with the man and I married him. What else is there to say? Who his father is doesn't come into the equation."

She scoffs at her critics who say she is just another naive, middle-aged British woman who has let herself be flattered by a young man with an eye on a cosy life in the UK. "Look, he doesn't need me to get a visa to come to England. All he needs to do is go to the British Embassy in Saudi. It's ridiculous to say he is using me for that. London is full of Bin Ladens. Many of his uncles and aunts are here."

On the difference in their ages: "Why is it ok for a 50-year-old man to marry a 20-year-old woman, but when a woman wants to be with a younger man it's seen as scandalous? My children adore Omar. He is wonderful with them. He is the same age as my sons Vincent and Dean and he is like their best friend.

On Omar's relationship with his father: "Yes, he is proud of his family. I know he was particularly proud of his grandfather Mohamed." Jane insists the Omar and his father have not spoken since 2000 or early 2001. "Of course, he loves his father. He misses him dreadfully, like any son would. Until someone proves him guilty, how can he stop that? . . . I know that my husband is not an extremist. He is not a fanatic. He is very peaceful and loving. He is not anti-Western in any way - how could he be when he married me?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Is W & Bush family invited to the wedding? ;)