Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Chess Champion Accused of Using Sex Toy to Cheat

After weeks of anal bead jokes, conspiracy theories and cheating rumors that have rocked the chess world, the gloves are now truly off.  World Champion Magnus Carlsen has finally released a statement following his surprising defeat at the Sinquefield Cup in Saint Louis to 19-year-old Hans Niemann, who has been accused of cheating online and using anal beads to stimulate his chances of winning.

The controversy quickly became one of the biggest chess scandals in years, especially because it concerns Niemann, who is notorious in the chess community for his difficult behavior.  Then, somewhat predictably when it comes to rumor mongering and drama stirring, Tesla CEO Elon Musk waded in.   Musk shared a video on Twitter of an influencer discussing the rumor that Niemann used a vibrating sex toy during the competition in order to cheat-- the theory suggesting that Niemann received moves in Morse code via the vibrations.

Last week, Carlsen quit an online game in the Julius Baer Generation Cup after playing only one move, leaving announcers shocked and escalating the controversy.  Carlsen publicly accused Niemann of being a cheater, and is now refusing to ever compete against him ever again.

“I believe that Niemann has cheated more - and more recently - than he has publicly admitted,” Carlsen said. “His over-the-board progress has been unusual, and throughout our game in the Sinquefield Cup I had the impression that he wasn’t tense or even fully concentrating on the game in critical positions, while outplaying me as black in a way I think only a handful of players can do.”

Carlsen has yet to provide any actual evidence for his claims.  Earlier this month, Niemann issued a strenuous denial, accusing Carlsen and others of trying to ruin his career.  "If they want me to strip fully naked, I will do it," said Niemann. "I don't care, because I know I am clean. You want me to play in a closed box with zero electronic transmission, I don't care. I'm here to win and that is my goal regardless."

Grandmaster Nigel Short, the only British player to compete in the final of the world championships, told the BBC last week he was skeptical about the claims of foul play, saying there was no evidence Niemann cheated in his victory over Carlsen.  "I think in the absence of any evidence, statement or anything, then this is a very unfortunate way to go about things. It's death by innuendo," Short said.

 

No comments: