Thursday, October 26, 2017

Trump Finally Addreses the Opioid Crisis

After promising two months ago to do something about the opioid crisis, Trump finally declared it a public health emergency .  The declaration allows the executive branch to dip into the Public Health Emergency Fund-- which unfortunately holds only $57,000.  No other funding was made available by the declaration.   Trump also promised to waive some regulations and give states more flexibility in how they use federal funds- but he stopped short of declaring a more sweeping  national state of emergency that would have given states access to funding from the federal Disaster Relief Fund.  The event was characterized by many as too little, too late.

A few excerpts from Trump's speech:
"I learned myself, I had a brother Fred, great guy, best looking guy, best personality, much better than mine, but he had a problem. He had a problem with alcohol. And he would tell me don't drink. Don't drink.  He was substantially older, and I listened to him and respected. But I would constantly tell me don't drink. He would also add don't smoke. But he would say it over and over and over again. And to this day I've never had a drink. And I have no longing for it. I have no interest in it. To this day I've never had a cigarette. Don't worry, those are only two of my good things." 



Naturally, Trump can't avoid bragging about himself!

"The fact is if we can teach young people, and people generally, not to start, it's really, really easy not to take them. And I think that's going to end up being our most important thing. Really tough, really big, really great advertising. So we get to people before they start so they don't have to go through the problems of what people are going through."
Just great-- a return to Nancy Reagan's failed "Just say no" program!
For too long dangerous criminal cartels have been allowed to infiltrate and spread throughout our nation. An astonishing 90% comes from across the border which we are building a wall which will help in this problem. We'll have a great impact. My administration is dedicated to enforcing our immigration laws, defending our maritime security, and securing our borders. 


 And of course, we have to plug the idiotic border wall!

No comments: